Concerned about which essential oil will care for your baby? Are you in a dilemma about using them on your baby?
Do not worry mothers, because this article will solve all your problems!
What are Essential oils?
Essential oils are the hydrophobic liquid concentrate that contains aromatic compounds from the plant. It is known as "essential" because it is the 'essence of the plant' from which it is derived. It is also known that volatile oils, ethereal oils or simply plant oil. The oil is used in soaps, perfumes and other beauty and cleaning products. Is it safe to use essential oils in babies?
It is safe to use essential oils in babies ?
Studies show that it is safe to use essential oils for your little ones. They help in the development of your baby's health. Precautions to be taken while using essential oils in infants:
- No Ingestion: Remember never to let your little ones ingest any of the essential oils. Some oils may be hazardous if swallowed.
- Dilution: Remember, let it be an essential oil, be sure to use it in diluted form. If you are going to add it to the bath water, first dilute it in the water-soluble carrier and then add it to the bath water.
- Only one oil at a time: You know that you are not aware of allergies your baby has. So make sure you introduce only one essential oil to your baby in one day. If your baby is allergic to it, he / she will show some signs within 15-20 minutes after applying. There are some essential oils that work best for your babies, while some prove to be hazardous to your health.
Here is the list of essential oils that are safe for use on your babies:
1.Bergamot Oil: Extracted from the ripe fruit of a plant obtained from crossing orange and lemon plants, this oil is known to reduce stress and relax your baby's body.. It's color is yellow-green. Do not use this out in the sun since it is the phototoxicity oil. óleo
2.Cypress Oil: This oil is obtained from cypress, which is found in deciduous and coniferous areas. It has a sweet smell it can be used to lift the mood of your baby if he / she becomes cranky. Cypress oil also helps in treating respiratory problems.
3.Frankincense Oil: This oil is extracted from the sap of trees of the genus Boswellia. This sap is allowed to harden and then scraped into a form of teardrops. It has woody, spicy and slightly fruity scent. This scent helps in relaxation of mind and soul. chamomile oil
4.German Chamomile Oil: This oil is obtained by steam distillation or solvent extraction of Compositae flower, which are golden-yellow in color. This oil can be used in the case of colic that is severe pain in the abdomen due to intestinal problems. óleo
5.Geranium oil: It is obtained by steam distillation of the fresh leaves of the geranium plant. In case your baby is suffering from jaundice, using geranium oil can help heal it quickly. It can also be used to relieve stress and fatigue. óleo 6.Helichrysum: Obtained from a medicinal plant `Helichrysum`, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Helichrysum oil is useful in treating coughs and colds, stomach aches, and constipation.
7.Mandarin oil: This oil is a citrus oil. It is also used for its fruity scent. This oil is used in the case of colic, jaundice. It is also used to get relief from constipation. óleo
8.Sandalwood oil: We are all aware of the pleasant smell of sandalwood has. It is extracted from the sandalwood. It is very well known for its ability to cleanse the skin and keep it healthy. If you are worried about rashes then sandalwood oil is the best choice.
9.Sweet orange oil: This oil is also one of the citrus oils. It is extracted from orange fruits and has a very fruity scent. If your baby is cranky, make sure the sweet orange oil around you. Your scent will quickly lift your baby's mood. It promotes joy and is also useful in slow digestion.
10.Tea Tree Oil: Obtained from twigs and leaves of the tea tree, this oil is useful in case of earaches, common cold problems, and tonsillitis. This oil is very useful in treating a number of diseases since it has very useful properties like balsamic, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, etc. These are the oils that will be safe with your baby but it is always best to consult a doctor before using any of them on your baby. Essential oils should be avoided in infants: Essential oils should be avoided in infants While some essential oils are so useful, some essential oils are strict NO for use in infants. Their use should be strictly avoided on them.
Essential oils to avoid for babies:
1. Cassia oil: Cassia is commonly known as Chinese cinnamon. It is very common in China and Burma. It is extracted from the leaves and branches of the cinnamon plant. The oil can cause severe irritations to the skin and mucous membrane, and therefore should be avoided.
2. Clove oil: Clove oil is obtained from bud clover. It has a strong smell that is harmful to babies as babies are very sensitive to smell. Eugenol, the main element found in the tooth, can cause allergic reactions. Therefore, they should be avoided.
3. Garlic oil: Like clove oil, garlic oil also has a strong aroma associated with it. Its smell can cause adverse effects on babies and so should be kept away from babies.
4. lemongrass oil: Obtained from the steam distillation of dried lemongrass, it should be kept away from the eyes as it can cause serious damage. Lemongrass oil can cause severe skin irritations and itching.
5. Oregano oil: This oil is extracted from fresh oregano leaves using steam distillation. It can cause irritation to the mucous membranes if taken in high doses.
6. Wintergreen oil: This is a highly poisonous oil if ingested. It can cause serious damage to the internal organs due to the high content of methyl salicylate.
7. Peppermint oil: It has very good healing properties and helps to relax the mind but is highly strong in nature. It may cause skin irritation. These oils are very strong in nature, and so babies have a hard time absorbing them, and it results in adverse effects on their body.
What does an adverse reaction look like?
It is very important to see if your baby reacts differently to an essential oil. If the baby is allergic to oil, he / she may develop adverse reactions. It is very important that you know that an adverse reaction will be similar!
- Skin irritations: In case you do not dilute the essential oil during use, the skin may develop redness, itching and irritation. This can also happen if the baby is exposed to sunlight.
- Sensitization: It can happen at any time. It is a more serious reaction since it is almost irreversible. If you notice any of the above after applying any essential oil, it is time just to stop applying oil on your baby!
The most common uses of oils for babies:
Here is the list of essential oils that can be used to get rid of some common problems that almost every mother finds:
1.Cold and cough related problems: In the case of such problems, eucalyptus oil is very useful.
2.Bathing: If you want your baby to enjoy his / her bath time, make sure to add some essential citrus oils to the water. Remember to dilute them. Its fruity scent makes you feel fresh.
3.Hygiene: Lemon oil has anti-bacterial properties, and this property helps to kill the germs and keep your baby healthy and fit.
4.Sleep: Only a mother can understand how difficult it is to make a baby sleep. Lavender oil is known to calm the mind of your baby and help them sleep deeper and deeper.
5.Anxiety and Stress: Mandarin oil helps to relieve babies from stress and anxiety. It helps lift your mood.
6. Lifting your mood: Sweet orange oil promotes joy. It helps make your baby stay in a cheerful mood.
7.Massage: Kids love massages. Massage for the baby makes your body relaxed and also keeps them happy. Lavender oil may be a good choice for this purpose.
8.Teeth: Chamomile oil wrapped in an ice cube can help reduce tooth pain in babies. Although essential oils are very useful in treating a number of health problems, it is always best to consult a doctor and only then use an oil on your baby because each baby reacts differently to different oils!