The menstrual delay is not always a sign of pregnancy, as other situations such as excessive stress, strong emotions, hormonal changes or excessive consumption of caffeine or alcoholic beverages can make this happen.
Generally, this menstrual delay can last from 1,2,3 or 5 days to 1 or 2 months, is recommended to consult the doctor if the absence continues more than 3 months and is not pregnant so that the cause can be identified and treated.
However, if there is unprotected intimate contact a few days before there is also the probability of being pregnant, being recommended to do a home pregnancy test that can be bought in pharmacies.
Menstrual delay and negative pregnancy test
If there is a menstrual delay and at least 2 pregnancy tests were done in the last month with 8 to 10 days of interval, it is very likely that she is not pregnant so that other situations such as: may cause the delay
- Excess of physical activity as it happens with athletes or people in preparation for some sporting event or competition;
- Very restrictive diets;
- Poor nutrition or food disturbances such as anorexia or bulimia;
- Excess Stress;
- Alterations in the ovaries;
- Diseases that affect the hypothalamus or pituitary gland;
- Hormonal changes caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis, uterine myoma or the morning-after pill.
- Use of pills for continuous use that causes absence of menstruation;
- Curettage or surgery in the recent pelvic region;
- Proximity to menopause or the possibility of early menopause;
- After delivery, because menstruation should only return after the woman stops breastfeeding, although it is necessary to use contraception during menstruation;
- Prolonged use of contraceptives: there may be the absence of menses for 6 months, or for 1 year after taking the contraceptive injection.
These situations can lead to the absence of menstruation for more than 3 months, is recommended to consult the doctor in case this occurs.
Menstruation can also be considered to be late when the girl who has already turned 16 years of age has not yet menstruated for the first time, in that case, it is called primary amenorrhea and should be investigated by the gynecologist. This delay of menstruation can be related to problems such as head trauma, prematurity or defects in the reproductive system, imperfect hymen, uterus septum and also absence of the uterus, for example.
What to do if menstrual cycle is delayed
If you have a menstrual delay for more than 3 months, and cannot identify the cause, it is best to consult the gynecologist so that you can determine the cause and treat the problem, in some cases, it may be recommended to take some medication so that menstruation get off
The doctor can request tests such as the progesterone test and the prolactin dose to identify the reason for this delay and indicate the most appropriate treatment.
In addition to this, depending on what is causing the delay in menstruation reduce the intensity of physical exercise, be calm, avoid stress and maintain a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals are attitudes that help regulate the menstrual cycle.
It is also recommended that you regularly consult the doctor to identify possible health problems or diseases such as polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, anorexia, bulimia, hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism that can cause changes in the menstrual cycle.
Homemade Remedies to Induce menstruation
There are some home remedies that can help induce menstruation , but these should be taken when there is no suspicion of pregnancy.
Cinnamon tea helps speed up menstruation in 1 or 2 days and to prepare this tea you need:
- 2 sticks of cinnamon;
- 1 cup of boiling water
Add the cinnamon sticks to the boiling water, cover and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. After this time the sticks should be removed and drink warm.
12 Common causes of menstrual delay
This tea should be taken 1 to 2 times a day until the menstruation falls and if necessary it can be sweetened with honey or sugar.
Salvia tea helps accelerate and cause menstruation and to prepare this tea you need:-
- 10 leaves of sage;
- 500 ml of boiling water.
Method of Preparation:
- Add 5 sage leaves to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Wait until it cools a little, you should drink one cup in the morning and another at night to stabalize your menstrual cycle effectively. But you should know that this infusion is not recommended if you take contraceptives.
These teas are natural options for when there is a menstrual delay in a few days and should be taken for 5 to 10 days, is recommended to consult the doctor in case the menstruation does not come during this time, since these teas only accelerate that lower the menstruation but they do not regulate the menstrual cycle.
How To Regulate Periods
In addition to drinking teas that help lower menstruation, there are also some measures that can help avoid these situations where the menstrual cycle is not regulated as:
- To lead a healthy lifestyle with regular practice of physical exercise and a healthy and varied diet, rich in fruits, vegetables, and vegetables;
- Take birth control pills, as it helps regulate the menstrual cycle;
- Practice physical activity regularly but always with some moderation, avoiding excesses;
- Avoid crazy and very restrictive diets, because, in addition to doing bad for health, they end up altering the menstrual cycle;
- Follow the indicated treatment to control the Syndrome of the Polycystic Ovaries or thyroid problems;
- Maintain the ideal weight.
These measures help to maintain regulated menstruation; however, it is advised that you consult your doctor to identify the cause responsible for the irregular menstrual cycle.