The lice are small insects that invade our scalp since being a parasitic species need to suck the blood of our body to feed and continue to reproduce. These insects are contagious by direct contact with the infected person and are usually very frequent in children between 3 and 11 years since they frequent environments such as schools and parks where they play and share personal utensils.
There are different products such as lotions and shampoos that fight these plagues that try to colonize our head. However, most of these treatments usually contain too many chemical ingredients, so that more and more people end up choosing natural remedies. One of the most effective is lemon juice because its nutritional composition gives it anti-lice properties.
Properties of lemon to fight lice
The lemon is a fruit that in addition to spicing up different dishes and drinks, is also an excellent natural remedy to combat the proliferation of insects such as lice in our hair as it has the following properties :
- Antiseptic properties: the juice of lemons is a natural disinfectant that helps reduce the accumulation of microorganisms in our hair such as bacteria and fungi. Therefore, it is also excellent for eliminating both lice and their eggs or nits.
- Insecticidal properties : this liquid extracted from the lemon stands out for its richness in different acids, including acetic and citric, which have an insecticidal effect that removes the nits that were attached to the hair fibers.
- Repellent properties: this effect is also due to its high acid content. The aroma of lemon thanks to its composition in acids causes a repellent effect that makes insects like lice end up looking for another place to colonize.
- Anti-inflammatory properties : thanks to this benefit, the lemon also helps reduce some symptoms that cause lice such as itching and swelling in the head due to their bites.
How to eliminate lice with lemon – very effective remedy
Now that we know why the juice of this fruit is very effective to avoid the accumulation of insects in our hair, here’s how to use the lemon for lice with the following step-by-step :
- Grab a lemon, cut it in half and squeeze as much juice as you can from its two sides. Remove the nuggets that may have fallen into the bowl.
- Heat half a glass of water in the microwave and then add it in the same container as the lemon juice.
- Remove the ingredients with a spoon until the lemon is well diluted. Finally add the mixture in a spray bottle to make the application easier.
- Apply the lemon juice all over the scalp with the help of the sprayer until it is well impregnated.
- Let the remedy work for 30 minutes.
- Now rinse the lemon juice with enough apple cider vinegar until you notice the less thick hair. We use apple cider vinegar because it has powerful antiseptic properties so it will enhance the effects of lemon juice.
- Finally rinse your hair with plenty of warm water and then wash it in the usual way.
Use this remedy between 1 and 2 times per week .
Garlic and lemon mask for lice
Another of the best remedies you have to use the lemon for lice is to add garlic to the mixture. And it is that garlic is an excellent option to eliminate these insects from the head because of its composition in sulfur substances, which gives it a very penetrating smell that acts as a natural repellent for lice. In addition it also has astringent properties so it manages to eliminate the accumulation of fungi and bacteria.
- To prepare this mask you will first have to peel 8 cloves of garlic and crush them until you get a kind of paste.
- Then you will have to mix it with 3 tablespoons of lemon and stir until you get the mask.
- Apply the remedy by separating the hair by tufts and then let it act for 30 minutes.
- Finally rinse your hair with plenty of warm water and then wash your hair in the usual way.
Repeat this process 3 times a week.
Rinsing lemon and olive oil
Olive oil is also a natural remedy against lice since its oily texture suffocates insects as it obstructs their breathing passages . In addition its moisturizing effect helps to calm the itching and the swelling produced by them.
Preparation and treatment:
- To prepare this rinse, you will have to heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil without getting to burn and then mix it with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture through the scalp and then cover your hair with a hat all night long.
- When you wake up, remove the nits with a comb and then wash your hair in the usual way.
Use this remedy every day until you eliminate the lice.
- How To Use Lemon For Oily Hair
- 6 Benefits Of Neem Oil For Hair & Scalp