In some stages of life, it is convenient to take some supplements for memory. In recent years, ginkgo biloba, which has traditionally been used to treat different health problems, has emerged with great force, and it can also have benefits for memory. However, despite the different scientific studies, there is no clear conclusion about whether it is good or not because there are investigations in both directions. That is, some claim that it does have beneficial effects while others downplay their effectiveness. So, is ginkgo biloba good for memory?
Properties of ginkgo biloba for memory
Ginkgo biloba has many health benefits because it contains flavonoids and terpenoids. But, above all, it is known for its properties to improve blood circulation, which is precisely what makes it widely used in health supplements sold in pharmacies and parapharmacies.
Thanks to this feature, it is used to relieve pain or heaviness in the legs, for migraines, dizziness, varicose veins or hemorrhoids. In addition, benefits have been found to help prevent emboli and thrombosis. And, precisely, this ability to improve blood flow is what also makes talking about ginkgo biloba for memory.
As it is a vasodilator and promotes blood circulation, it makes blood reach the brain more easily. This, in turn, generates that the brain cells have more nutrients and a greater amount of oxygen that reaches them through that better blood flow.
Ginkgo Biloba Benefits for Memory
As we have previously mentioned, ginkbo biloba is a vasodilator and promotes blood flow. In addition, for this same effect, also performs in the body an important oxygenating function, which benefits the brain. The key is that it increases glucose, which is essential for the proper functioning of the brain, as well as the production of adenosine triphosphate, which is key to obtaining cellular energy.
In this way, some scientific studies have shown that they can improve the functions that the brain needs to work properly, which contributes to:
- Improve memory
- It favors the learning process.
- Improves the retention of what has been learned.
- It increases the ability to concentrate.
- Minimizes the loss of reaction capacity that occurs when it takes a long time concentrated, as, for example, it can happen with many hours of study or work without rest.
However, they are results that are scientifically not 100% guaranteed. In fact, there are several scientific researches that have concluded that this improvement of the capacities of the brain and of the memory is not so obvious, even though its vasodilator and stimulating power of blood circulation is proven.
On the contrary, other scientific research does confirm that there is an improvement in cognitive abilities, which are still greater when ginkgo biloba is mixed with ginseng. Even these same investigations speak of what is good to improve senile dementia , being of great help also to prevent Alzheimer’s and senile dementia.
As you can see, there is no unanimous opinion about whether ginkgo biloba is good for memory or not. One reason why many researchers and doctors appeal to prudence and the need for more studies and research.
How to take ginkgo biloba for memory
Ginkgo biloba can be purchased at herbalists, pharmacies, parapharmacies and online stores. Normally, there are two main ways to take ginkgo biloba for memory :
- Ginkgo biloba in tablets or capsules: this plant as capsules, cachets or tablets being the easiest and most common ways of consumption. Some of these compositions also include other mental stimulants such as ginseng or vitamin B6, although it is also possible to find only formulations made with ginkgo biloba.
- Infusions of ginkgo biloba: it is also available in leaves to make infusions. Its preparation is like that of any tisane. You will not have any difficulty if you decide to take it that way, but you will have to talk to your doctor what daily dose is best for you.
Contraindications of ginkgo biloba
Although ginkgo biloba comes from a tree that is millennial and is completely natural, the truth is that we must not forget that it also presents a series of contraindications regardless of whether or not it is taken for memory. These are the main contraindications of ginkgo biloba :
- Follow a treatment with anticoagulants or have a problem in the circulatory system.
- Another contraindication of ginkgo biloba is that it should not be taken by people who have epilepsy or take a treatment to prevent seizures.
- Pregnant women are not convenient to take it. It should also be avoided during the period of lactation. The reason is that it may contain substances that interfere negatively in the proper development of the fetus or that are toxic to the nursing baby.
- Children under five should not take it because some of its components can also be harmful to their health.