Should I change my diet? Will I have to exercise more? Would it be good to use nutritional supplements? what are the best foods for cancer patients? Those are some of the questions that people diagnosed with cancer usually do. Finding the answers can be difficult. Doctors do not always have training in these issues, so patients end up consulting other sources of information, with the consequent risks involved.
“We still hear from patients that specialists have used expressions like ‘not shown’, ‘eat what you want’ or other equivalent expressions in the office. If such phrases mask a lack of awareness of these issues, if not an impairment of their scientific hierarchy or perhaps an attitude of prejudice, patients do not have to pay the high cost of missing the opportunity to improve their living conditions.
The overall responsibility for nutrition at the origin of the cancer is at least 30%. In turn, there are dozens of studies that show that cancer patients who make certain nutritional changes tend to have a better prognosis of their disease than those who continue with the same nutritional regimen before diagnosis. Therefore, it proposes a “nutritional reprogramming”, based on reducing the intake of foods that increase the risk and increase the consumption of those protectors, along with some nutrients and bioactive substances.
The expert then proposes to modify the nutritional patterns so that the organism is better conditioned and allows a more effective treatment action on the neoplastic (abnormal) cells and protects the healthy cells.
Best Food For Cancer Patients
Main recommendations are:
- Vegetable oil should be replaced with extra virgin olive oil to season salads and prepare dishes such as pizzas and cakes. If you decide to eat fried foods (although they should be rare), also use this type of oil.
- High consumption of citrus is very much recommended. Tangerines, oranges and their juice are a very powerful means of protection. A minimum average of one to two units per day should be ingested. Also advise lemons, strawberries, and kiwis, but not grapefruit.
- Get omega 3 Supplements. It is advisable for its antioxidant action, stimulating the immune system, preventing cancer and optimizing treatments, among others.Cannabis oil is an excellent source of Omega-3.
- Get Vitamin D. through sunlight or supplement. Vitamin-D has the antitumor capacity for breast, colon and probably prostate cancer.
- Consumption of dairy products can be helpful. Skim milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D, and also skim yogurt is useful. Among the cheeses, the semi-hard and other greasy yellow ones (like Colonia or Gruyere) and to restrict the cream of milk, the whipped cream, the cream ice cream and the chocolate milk.
- Low consumption of foods with a high glycemic index. Bread and other wheat derivatives, cakes, sweets, and jams should be avoided. Whole foods are more advisable and should be combined with foods with high protein content such as dairy products and meats.
- Include foods derived from soy. There is something for everyone: beans, flour, sprouts, and burgers.
- Frequent consumption of tomatoes fights cancer. These last include broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cabbage, watercress and chard.
- To achieve an adequate level of adiposity. The mass-muscle ratio should not be greater than 1.5 (one and a half times). The ideal is a parity between the two.
Food For Lung Cancer
Although prostate cancer is the one that has the highest incidence in men , the one of lung is the one that produces more number of deaths. Some of the suggested nutritional guidelines are:
- Do not consume alcohol. Drinking alcohol is inadvisable; Beer is the riskiest drink.
- It is advisable that the patient with this type of cancer take herbal Green tea daily to detox their body.
- Very low consumption of red meats. Eating meat as it is usually prepared can increase the risk of lung cancer. In these patients, the intake should not be greater than once a week and best not to take at all.
- Milk should be taken at most twice a month, particularly if it is whole; It is much more convenient to skim. Fermented dairy products such as yogurts and probiotics are the best options. For them, there are no restrictions. As for cheeses, the best recommendations are ricotas or skim ricotta.
- Consume cereals as it is necessary to incorporate whole grain foods (such as whole wheat flour) to obtain maximum nutrients and not just empty calories as when white flour is ingested. Therefore, it advises to include wheat germ, wheat bran, and oats, as well as whole wheat flour.
- Take Fewer fats to keep yourself healthy. The patient should have an egg consumption of less than one per day. Also, reduce red meats, fried foods, dairy products, and desserts.
- Eat Raw vegetables as much as 80 of your diet. This will have amazing detox effect on your body. Also, take vegetable juices.
- Eat fruit. An average of one or more per day is optimal. All serve, season and citrus.
- In addition to citrus fruits, vitamin C supplements may be helpful to the patient. Some studies point to the desirability of ingesting vitamin D.